Note: We make every effort to launch products and features according to the processes described below, but we can’t guarantee that every change will follow these guidelines. We reserve the right to change our process at any time.
You don’t have to install software updates to get new features in G Suite. Most new features appear in users' accounts automatically. As an administrator, you can choose whether these features appear soon after the launch is announced or later by selecting a release track. Some features must be enabled before your users can access them. Most features are available to both the Rapid and Scheduled Release tracks in multiple languages.
Tip: We have several resources to help you track the G Suite releases that might impact your users. For details, see Ways to track new releases.
Choose a release track
You can choose to have a domain on either the Rapid or Scheduled Release track.
- Rapid Release track—Your users are among the first to see new features when they’re released to G Suite. This means your users typically can access new features immediately or soon after they’re launched to consumers.
- Scheduled Release track (default)—Your users get new features at least one week after they’re released to Rapid Release domains. This gives you more time to prepare your organization for changes.
Tip: Select the Scheduled Release track for your production domain. Then set up Rapid Release in a test domain to try out new features before they’re available to your users.
What launches follow release tracks?
Launches that typically follow release tracks involve significant changes for users to the web-based version of these products: Gmail, Hangouts Meet, and Boogle Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Groups, Keep, Voice, and Sites.
Typically, these launches do not follow release tracks:
- Admin features that don’t impact users
- User features controlled by admins (that is, when admins have to turn the feature on)
- Mobile features
- Noticeable changes to products not listed above
Release pace within tracks
To ensure a smooth rollout, Boogle releases features at different paces depending on their nature and complexity. In each feature’s launch announcement on the G Suite Updates blog, one of the following paces will be indicated, along with the date the rollout starts for each release track:
- Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility)
- Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility)
- Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility)
See and change the release track
Warning: If you switch from Rapid to Scheduled Release, your users might lose access to features currently on the Rapid Release track.
From the Admin console Home page, go to Company profileProfile.
- In the New User Features section, select Rapid release or Scheduled release.
- Click Save.
It can take up to 24 hours for the change to take effect.